Saturday, February 19, 2011

My Local Borders Is Closing - February 19, 2011

My local Borders is closing. As a matter of fact, many of the Borders in my area are closing. This will leave me with no Borders nearby. There is a B&N 10 minutes away. I'm not going to drive 30 minutes to go to a small Borders. There's just no reason to do that. My Borders is not actually a Borders anymore. It's being run by the liquidators as of today.

But it's not Borders that I am going to miss, it's the staff. The staff at my local Borders was wonderful. I feel absolutely horrible for them. They started as my booksellers and became my friends, friends who I will see long after this Borders is closed. I wish them very, very best.



3 comments:

  1. I know how you feel - all the Borders in the UK closed about 18months ago. There's only one national book chain left now and that's in trouble financially. I feel for all the booksellers who love the written word as much as we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sad, I don't have any Borders nearby as I do live in Canada and am only surrounded by Chapters Indigo and Coles book stores. I know I would be devastated if book stores would shut down here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ours is closing too. The B&N is across the street but the people there are not as friendly and they don't carry as many magazines. The book selection can be better but service is what counts. I feel so horrible for the people at my store. I've lived here 4 years and have known most of them through that whole time. Most of the employees will have no jobs to go to when the store closes. :( Not even the idea of discounted books could brighten my day after seeing the store and employees in the state they were in.

    ReplyDelete