Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Authors and Comic Books - Part 1

Normally I would do a New Release Turesday Vlog today. However I'm not buying any new releases today. Instead I'm going to talk a bit about comic books.

Many of the authors whose books I like to read also write comics. Today I'll cover some of the authors who have adapted their own material to comics or written new stories set in the world or worlds that they have created. This is, of course, not an inclusive list. These are the ones that I collect. If I collect them I like them. Enough said.

Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files)
Dresden Files:
Welcome to The Jungle, writers Jim Butcher (Dabel Brothers)
Storm Front, writer: Jim Butcher (Dabel Brothers)
Storm Front, Vol. 2, writer: Jim Butcher (1st issue published by Dabel Brothers and now published by Dynamite Entertainment)


Mario Acevedo (Felix Gomez)
Killing the Cobra, writer: Mario Acevedo (IDW)


Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake)
Anita Blake Vampire Hunter:
Prequel
The First Death, writer: Laurell K. Hamilton (Marvel)
Guilty Pleasures
Guilty Pleasures, writer: Laurell K. Hamilton (Marvel)
The Laughing Corpse
The Laughing Corpse, writer: Laurell K. Hamilton (Marvel)
Necromancer, writer: Laurell K. Hamilton (Marvel)
Executioner, writer: Laurell K. Hamilton (Marvel)
Circus of the Damned
The Charmer, writer: Laurell K. Hamilton (Marvel)





Peter S. Beagle
The Last Unicorn, writers: Peter B. Gillis and Peter S. Beagle (IDW)



Patricia Briggs
Mercy Thompson: Homecoming, writers: Patricia Briggs and David Lawrence (Dynamite)
Alpha and Omega: Cry Wolf, writers: Patricia Briggs and David Lawrence (Dynamite)


Robert Jordan
Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time: The Eye of the World, writers: Robert Jordan and Chuck Dixon (Dynamite)


That's it for comics I collect from authors who write comics in their own world(s). Next time I don't purchase books on New Release Tuesday I'll cover some authors who write comics unrelated to their own works and eventually I'll cover adaptions of novels by others.

Qwill's Qwestion: Do collect comics by authors? What are they?

7 comments:

  1. I have never read Comic books adaptations but I've been thinking about trying a few...
    I thought about trying the Patricia Briggs ones, Jim Butcher's
    And I've heard about Kelley Armstrong and Kim Harrison going Comic too.
    Those I'd like to try...but i'm afraid I won't like that 'genre'.

    For me pictures are important and if the characters look funny I won't adhere lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. @pattepoilue In some ways it's similar to seeing a movie. It's not going to be exactly the same.

    Certainly there will be fewer written words. But the drawings often add what is missing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll start with the Mercy Thompson comic books.
    I wish I could flip through them to see before buying one lol

    I thought about trying Welcome to the Jungle too...we'll see ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of these are older so you'd have to find them used. I should have put the pub. dates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first in the Alpha & Omega comics was released last month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My budget is limited so I'm not buying all the authors that I used to buy back when I could afford my book habit. No one I read is doing graphic novels. That being said, I do have the comics that Angela Knight did way back when.

    ReplyDelete